Friday, February 5, 2016

Better Outlet, Better Clothes

Recently, on my own personal road to recovery, I've started something new: I've been talking to Mom, as though she's still around. I'll have private, one-sided conversations with her in my car on my way to work, or in my house. All the usual times I used to call and talk to her. And it's all been helping, and seemed relatively harmless.

Until I found myself having a conversation with her, out loud, in the middle of a Ross.

I have decided that I need a better outlet. So here I am, writing out my thoughts and the things I would usually talk to my mother about, out where anyone can see them. Which she would have appreciated. After all, we were hilarious as a duo, why should that stop now just because half of our act has passed on?

Disclaimer: I miss my mother terribly, and every single day. But I've been reacting to it in very odd ways, so I'm really not sure quite how any of this is going to go.

I might as well begin.

Dear Mom,

I went on a bit of a shopping spree today, and while I was out all I wanted to do was call and ask a very simple question that has plagued us for years: WHY do all the expensive brands seem to have a monopoly on TRULY adorable clothes?! Seriously! Every time I would go to pick up something that just screamed to be worn, it was by one of those brands that never has a sale. And even if they do, 50% off a huge stack of money is still half of a huge stack!! Their 50% off is usually still four times as much as I would pay for any one article of clothing! It is the MOST frustrating.

Don't get me wrong, I still came home with enough new clothes to fashionably outfit a small country.

Anyway, I think I've found a great shopping partner in Emily. She's very good at the things we used to do. The "Yes, but what would you wear it with?" and the "You love that, you're trying it on." And of course, the irreplaceable, honest, "That looks absolutely terrible on you, take it off right now." It was comforting, being able to shop almost like old times. The true art of retail therapy is lost on many. It's a shame, really ... we're such pros at it, and we can't even be recognized for our greatness.

In any case, I've run out of room in my closet again. Yet another argument for me and Loretta moving into a bigger place. I have clearly outgrown this one.

Missing you every single day.

Love,
Kaitlin

No comments:

Post a Comment