Friday, February 5, 2016

California Raisins, and "Nothing Says Family Like Harry Potter"

Dear Mom,

It was always strange to me, when I moved here four years ago, that people in my life didn't know you. Back home or even in Virginia, all my friends knew you. I could tell them family stories and they would understand. But here, I've had to adjust. I have to take into consideration the fact that, if you don't know us, most of my stories sound like mental instability of some kind. But there's always something that sets me off, and makes me want to just talk about my family, and about you. Of course now, it's even worse. Because not only do they not know you, but they'll never get to. I'm constantly trying to make sure to get across, in my stories, just how wonderful you were. And how tragic it is that the world has lost you.

Today, I was telling one such story to Tanya (who, thankfully, does truly understand.) We were talking about Harry Potter, and I started going on and on about how much a part of our lives those stories became. I remember introducing you all to it, and I told her that by the time Goblet of Fire came out, we were pre-ordering four copies of every book, so none of us had to share or rely on each others' reading speeds. And I told her how you and Dad would take us out of school to go see opening day matinees, every time a new Harry Potter movie came out.  I think, for me, Harry Potter is one of those things that just says "family" to me. The books, the movies, and how excited you were to finally ride on the Hogwarts Express the last time you were here ... they are all such warm, comforting things. They go in that part of my being that defines not only my childhood, but me. Right alongside mini golfing in the summer, and all of our unique and unshakable holiday traditions. Even little knick-knacks we had around the house, like your California Raisins.

I remember playing with those like crazy when I was a kid, and I never understood why you had them! I don't know where yours ended up, it's been years after all, but today I saw one in a thrift shop and just started laugh-crying like a crazy person. And then bought three new outfits, all of which you would have loved.

Anyway, I'm terribly behind on my homework this week and only have a couple more hours to complete some of it, so I should probably get back to it. Hope all is well, miss you.

Love,
Kaitlin

No comments:

Post a Comment